Problems with GRUB and SATA

I asked last week about getting Debian to run on my new box.

Joe Hart pointed me in the direction of ETCH rather than the SID I was
trying to use.

Everything worked fin until Saturday.... switched on and it failed with
an Error 18 at the GRUB.

It took me 8 attempts over the weekend to reinstall to system.... it
kept failing at the 'Installing Software' stage and wouldn't proceed.
I downloaded the latest installer yesterday- - burnt another dic and
tried again.... it all seemed to go fine and the system was up and
running again.

I have just switched on the machine - it booted OK - got to Gnome
desktop... and the whole thing froze (reminiscent of the bad old Windoze
days) ... switched it off (couldn't shutdown ... wouldn't take any
inputs) switched back on and I'm back with my Error 18 during GRUB
again....

Any sage advice please.  I will remind folks that I am not 'that'
technical, so please be gentle with me with I ask stoooopid questions.

It seems as if I have a hard disk problem.... but I even went and bought
a new drive at the weekend so this has happened to two separate SATA
drives.

A kinda obvious question.... but is anyone else having problems with
SATA and ETCH?

I understand that Error 18 is a read attempt beyond 8GB on older
machines..... but this is a brand new Motherboard, AND in any event I
always have BOOT in a separate 50meg partition at the front of the disk.

Advice / comments please,

Ian