Re: Problems with GRUB and SATA

ieb wrote:
It took me 8 attempts over the weekend to reinstall to system.... it
kept failing at the 'Installing Software' stage and wouldn't proceed.
I downloaded the latest installer yesterday- - burnt another dic and
tried again.... it all seemed to go fine and the system was up and
running again.
I saw a similar problem like this on a recent install; turns out one of the packages was looking for awk, but mawk was installed instead. We created a symlink to connect the two, and then the process got past that point. We ran into other problems, so eventually we just scrapped installing from the Etch installer, and did a Sarge install and then dist-upgraded from there. I should have filed a bug report, but failed to do so at the time, and now don't remember the details and no longer have access even to that machine to check the logs (assuming they have the info).
I have just switched on the machine - it booted OK - got to Gnome
desktop... and the whole thing froze (reminiscent of the bad old Windoze
days) ... switched it off (couldn't shutdown ... wouldn't take any
inputs) switched back on and I'm back with my Error 18 during GRUB
again....

But it sounds like you've got different issues, so you can probably "never mind" my comments above.

I believe I'd boot off a LiveCD and run fsck on your hard drive.

What file system format are you using on your hard drive? (ext3, jfs, etc)

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com <http://kentwest.blogspot.com/>