Re: Problems with GRUB and SATA

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 01:27:07PM +0000, ieb wrote:
> I asked last week about getting Debian to run on my new box.

[...]
> I have just switched on the machine - it booted OK - got to Gnome
> desktop... and the whole thing froze (reminiscent of the bad old Windoze
> days) ... switched it off (couldn't shutdown ... wouldn't take any
> inputs) switched back on and I'm back with my Error 18 during GRUB
> again....

couple things I've found. grub error 18 could be caused by problems
with the BIOS hd settings. try turning off block mode in the bios
and/or using a manual disk setup instead of autodetect. [0]

the other possibility is that you've just got some bad hardware (disk
controller maybe). The intermittent nature of the problem leads me to
suspect hardware more than software and the fact that a new disk
didn't fix it points to something farther up the chain: cables,
disk-controller etc.

[0] http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/debian-linux-help/52256-first-time-trying-linux-grub-error-18-a.html