Re: Favorite Email/Calender/PIM and Why

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 06:30:32 -0500

> On 03/20/07 09:02, Micha Feigin wrote:
> >> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 21:03:18 -0500 Ron Johnson
> >> <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Why?  An IMAP server gives you total MUA independence.
> >

> > And an overhead of another server program running in the
>
> courier-imap with 4 threads uses 14MB RAM.

and my laptop has 256 MB, it comes up with about 30MB used (I worked very hard
on that), and I use whatever is left to the brink

> > background on an already over stressed computer.
>
> Add more RAM?  It's pretty cheap.

Actually, laptop ram is rather expensive plus it's a 4 year old laptop so
actually finding compatible ram is almost impossible and not worth the
investment. I have another 2GB machine and I use the memory to the fullest
(and beyond) on that one also.

Also, I don't think that a crippled MUA is a proper excuse to have another
server running on my machine just to overcome it's limitations when there are
non-crippled ones around.

> [snip]
> >> Plus, kmail doesn't know how to move to the next message when
> >> opening then in a different window which is really annoying
>
> If that means what I think it means, then I'm not surprised.

Why not? other MUAs do it just fine (sylpheed for example). I have a 14" screen
so for proper use of screen real estate I open the messages in a new window, I
then want to be able to just press next to go through all the messages in the
thread without having to close and open windows each time.

It also has an issue with jumping to the end of the mailbox (or more annoyingly,
marking to the end of the mail box to delete all the remaining messages)

In short, the only thing that it had going for it over sylpheed which was the
ability to delete a whole thread has been fixed in sylpheed which leaves no
reason to use kmail.