Re: Sound on Linux?

> lsof man page illustrates a -t option which lets you pipe "terse" output
> to kill, which makes me suppose 'kill -9 pid' does not kill hanging
> files belonging to processes.
>
> raffaele

There's no such thing, that I know of, as 'kill hanging files'.  'lsof'
will give you process id's (PID values) with lots of other info, unless
-t is used, which is just the list of PID values.

You then use the PID values to kill the processes.

Indeed I wrote about "pipe" to a kill command.

When a process dies, all its open files are closed, either by itself or
by the system on its behalf.  This is true even if 'kill -9' is used,
the system takes cleanup on exit very seriously.

Clear, but what happens when an application crashes? Did the system/process acts as said before?

The net result is that open files go away, and the filesystem is no
longer 'busy' and can be umount'ed.

Shall we start a new thread? :)

raffaele