SOLVED: bind9 prevents external access

Would you believe it but bind9 had sweet nothing to do with the
problem. The issue lay in the interfaces configuration file all along.

In my email below I had configured eth0:0 but the IP address used in
this was actually the subnet ip. As soon as I removed this everything
went back to normal...

Thanks to everyone who so pain-stakingly help me resolve this issue. I
really do appreciate it.