Re: Speeding up boot time

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]
In article <81jvy-6a6-5@gated-at.bofh.it>, Michael Pobega wrote:
> I'm looking to speed up my Debian Etch boot speed, but I have no idea
> where to start.

Install the uswsusp package.  Don't shut your system down.
Just suspend it to the swap partition with "s2disk".
When you turn the power back on, boot the same kernel as
last time.  When it discovers the suspended system
it comes up really fast.  Just don't change your hardware
while it's suspended.

A customer did that with her Mac for six years.
Suspend to disk, resume, never rebooted.
She asked me to revise her OS, and I ran fsck first.
It found one wrong inode number.
Does that mean she had an uptime of six years?

Cameron