Speeding up boot time

I'm looking to speed up my Debian Etch boot speed, but I have no idea
where to start.

Currently I have everything default, but I'd like to remove a few
things (Like networking, because networking tries to connect to my
Ethernet and my wireless drivers are loaded separately).

Are there any easy tools to look through my startup programs, or will
I have to sort through everything manually?

And if I remove networking, how do I go about using modprobe to start
up my Ethernet in case I ever want to use it/need it at another time
(i.e. When there is a new Debian kernel release I have to reinstall my
wireless before I can do anything)?