Re: loading huge number of rules in iptables (blocklist)

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> I'm sorry, but what exactly is the purpose here? I did a little poking
> around and it looks like just a massive list of ip's to block, but for
> what purpose?
>
> I'm not trying to say that this is not the right solution for whatever
> your problem is, but it certainly seems very brute force. Hence my
> questions.

We were discussing some rogue p2p sites which try to connect to
bittorrent clients to collect information about the users. The
discussion was prompted by a number of posts on slashdot, which led to
peerguardian website and kind of took off from there. The purpose is to
block/drop traffic from all the ip ranges listed in blocklist provided
by peerguardian website. I can give more pointers if this is not sufficient.

The result was the experiment to use the massive blocklist and to
automate the process in iptables firewall on a router -- needs iptables,
bash, curl and maybe pythong or perl. I am giving it a shot. As I said
before, this is the first attempt.

->HS