Re: loading huge number of rules in iptables (blocklist)

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 12:09:03PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:

> >>Anyone ... ?
> >
> >That's a whole lotta rules.  I'm not surprised that iptables doesn't
> >scale that well.
>
> Yes. The experiment shows that this is not going well. I was wondering
> if there are any alternatives. I currently have around 80,000 rules now
> inserted, and the process is still continuing more than 17 hours later!
> However, my internet connection seems to be holding up without any
> noticeable performance cut so far.

nice to know that the connection is holding up, but there's got to be
a better way to do this. I'm not really up on iptables, but surely
there is some better way to distinguish the traffic to allow or not?
Maybe even just some judicious grepping of the rule set for partial
matches that could be lumped together?

It seems that your operating on a default allow scenario with a bunch
of rules to delineate the deny situations. maybe you could go the
other way? default deny with a limited number of rules of what to
allow?

.02