Re: when you do an apt-get upgrade, does it matter it you do it as 'root'?

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 11:13 -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 March 2007 10:42, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 10:41 -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> > > when you do an apt-get upgrade, does it matter it you do it as 'root'?
> >
> > Please ask a better question.
> > --
> what is the problem with this one?
> ;o)

Of course you have to have ROOT equivalent access.

You have to ask the WHOLE QUESTION. The question you asked is a kin to:

	Do I need tools to work on my car?

When you would really like to know how to actually change out the
Alternator.

So, until you ask the whole question, we cannot answer you question
smartly. Sure others have taken a shot-gun approach to it and *MAY* have
answered your question, but it would have been better if you asked:

        When you do an apt-get upgrade, does it matter if you do it as
        "root", as a regular user with sudo rights or as a plain regular
        user?

Do you see the difference in the question? You clear demonstrate you
understand the differences in rights levels with a question like that.
Whereas with your first ambiguous question we are not sure.

Smarter question make for much better and closer to the answer than with
an ambiguous question.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup