Re: when you do an apt-get upgrade, does it matter it you do it as 'root'?

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 11:13:13AM -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 March 2007 10:42, Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 10:41 -0700, tom arnall wrote:
> > > when you do an apt-get upgrade, does it matter it you do it as 'root'?
> >
> > Please ask a better question.
> > --
> what is the problem with this one?
> ;o)

Maybe the implication was that you could have just tried it, and perhaps
noted what happened, in your query.   That's just a a guess, as my
mind-reading skills are still lacking despite many years of marriage...

In general, the debian packaging system requires root permissions to
make changes.  At one point (probably in the archives) I wondered if it
should be possible for a user to apt-get install a package as a user,
e.g., in some limited, user-local location.  This seems reasonable,
but the packaging system just isn't set up to do it.  It could be,
but it isn't.

Ken

--
Ken Irving