Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 12:03:21AM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
> > Michael Pobega wrote:
> > >
> > > The Debian social contract is the main thing that won me [over
> > > into using Debian]
> > >

> > Yes, that is some contract! Debian's 'persona', I guess, is largely
> > due to the contract. I love the democratic nature of Debian.
> >

> Did you read the rest of the article where Ian said he was against
> Debian becoming democratic.

Even if that's what Ian thinks it's too late to change Debian's system
of management now. I mean, just because Ian thinks something that
doesn't automatically make it fact. Debian's democratic structure may
be slowing it down against distros like Ubuntu, which appeals to a
largely mainstream audience, but it creates the greatest community
effort out of any distribution.

And like I said, whether or not Ian says it has no bearing on Debian;
He is going to Sun[0], so he won't be changing Debian's management
structure anytime soon.

[0]http://ianmurdock.com/2007/03/19/joining-sun/