Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

Michael Pobega wrote:
On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 01:43:56PM +0100, Nik wrote:
In article <[🔎] 45ffc07a.3fdb7ccd.7312.6c46@mx.google.com>,
   Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:
And it's not just me. I've noticed that a lot of people get the same
problem from Ubuntu upgrades. That isn't to say that nobody can
upgrade their Ubuntu system, but I personally believe that 75% of
upgrades fail, at least on a minor scale.
I would be interested how you reach a figure of 75%
How many Ubuntu users have you polled?

Nik

Months of hanging out on the Ubuntu forums, both lurking as a guest
and being a registered member for a while:

http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=206056

Every day there seemed to be at least three new topics about "apt-get
dist-upgrade" breaking a system.

I think one should keep in mind that Debian users in general tend to be more thorough and careful with their systems. Ubuntu users are, on the other hand, *on an average* less experienced in the nitty gritty details of the configurations (I am not saying *all* Ubuntu users tend to be novices). Given this, it is no wonder that more number of dist-upgrades create problems in Ubuntu -- so it may not be Ubuntu to be blamed, the blame rests partly on users too. Hell, if one is careful enough, one can even upgrade a Fedora distribution via yum with no problems (I did that, twice).