Using gdb on a debian system.

Could somebody advise on using gdb on a debian system?

Currently whenever I need to take an insider look at what the code is
really doing, I try to locate the source of the same version, download
the .tar.gz .. run configure/make and execute the version that I built
from source:

$ gdb ./program

Is there any way I could cause debian to systematically install the
source that corresponds to the packaged binaries?

Couldn't find an option to "apt-get install" that does that.

I have tried to follow the recommendations I found in various docs,
like rebuilding the package via an "apt-get source package" followed
by a "dpkg -i package_name" to no effect.

Even if I try to point gdb to the directory that contains the source
via the "-d" flag I end up with the dreaded "no symbols table loaded"
message. "use the file command".

IOW .. I can't do anything useful.

Sorry, I'm only an occasional user of gdb .. but it does come in handy
when you run into some cryptic piece of code and you'd like to see de
visu what it might be doing.

I have heard about "dbg" debs but there are not many of them in the
usual sarge places/repositories.

Any pointers or a quick explanation very welcome.  The docs I found
online were not very useful.

Thanks,
cga.