Re: distro for 486 with 32 MB ram

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 14:00 -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> I have a 486 with 32 MB ram, ISA bus NIC, currently running Sarge.  Now
> that Etch RC2 is out I'm starting to plan for the future of this box.
> The Etch install manual says that it needs 64 MB ram.  I know that Sarge
> will continue to be supported for a while but I may as well start
> planning.
>
> I know: someone will give me the proverbial quarter and tell me to get a
> real computer :)
>
> I never could run Sarge's installer re memory so went with Woody and
> upgraded.  I can try that with Etch but want to have a fall-back
> position in case the attempt hoses.  I'm on very slow dialup so getting
> back to where its at now would take a few weeks.  Since Sarge's aptitude
> takes a few minutes to load (due to the size of the packages file), I
> fear that Etch will take proportionally longer and run out of memory.
>
> This box has two purposes:
> 	a remote access to my main Athlon box
> 	a toolbox: something that can get on the internet for email and
> 		lynx incase something happens to the Athlon box and I
> 		need to contact this list.
>
> All I really need:
> 	base install
> 	mc (well, I don't _need_ it but it is convenient)
> 	vim
> 	ssh
> 	mutt
> 	lynx
> 	ppp
>
> And would like python, gftp, rsync, wget
>
> I want a distribution with security support since if I didn't want that
> I could just stick with Woody.
>
> DamnSmallLinux needs to boot from a CD.  The 486 will only boot from
> floppy or hard drive.
>
> FreeBSD will run, does anyone have experience with it?

FreeBSD is actually very nice for exactly what you describe. You could
also run one of the floppy based linux variants designed for just such
an occasion.

So, as for FreeBSD, it rocks in so many ways it is hard to describe.
Although, the mindset causes many a Linuxer heads to explode, as the
paradigm shift has no clutch. It really does fell foreign, almost
surreal and stepping back 5-10 years in the life of Linux. But also
being ahead of the curve, like putting a supercar motor, transmission
and suspension in a sand buggy rail job, putting economy tires and going
to the drag races.

The Super Car motor transmission and suspension are design for road
racing, the buggy rail chassis is design for heavy off-road, the tires
made for "average use on an econobox" and going to the Drags races.
Don't forget the "no-clutch" learning curve. Well you have to be very
careful driving that car. Same goes for FreeBSD.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup