RE: Installation - deselect "standard" task ???

Solved/Workaround, but information inline below:

> Erik Cummings wrote:
> > Alright - I've asked (and am pursuing) a different problem about my
> install not completing if I have any tasks selected (lots of "mirror"
> problem references, but I have tried 3 different mirrors about 6-7 times
> each!).
> >
> > The workaround is if I do NOT select the "standard" task and complete
> the install, everything appears to work fine...
> >
> > Once the system has rebooted if I run aptitude, it automatically selects
> about 60 packages and if I give it the go...it'll install and update them.
> >
> > I've installed a few additional packages (part of my "standard" load)
> and things are running fine.  I've got no broken dependencies, etc...
> >
> > BUT - I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer to "yes this
> works".
> >
> > I've even found a couple vague references to "there are some things an
> admin would need to do or install manually".
> >
> > Anyone know anything about this?
> >
> > Erik
> >
> > P.S.  I am also downloading the weekly snapshot DVD image, since I am
> dealing with Etch/testing here and not stable...I'm hesitant to do this
> too many times!
> >

> There could be problems with some mirrors.  That is something that is
> controlled by several servers between you and them and not something you
> or they can do about it.  The only thing I can say is try different
> mirrors, even ones that are not in your country can be faster than ones
> that are.

	- I've tried 3 different mirrors, and no difference.  Hangs in the same spot every time (after retrieving 82 of 82 files...).  Also, our internet is blazingly fast...without making ya'll jealous, the download of all 82 files takes about 3 minutes.

	- One interesting note, on one of my other bits of hardware (older server) this SAME download takes almost 15 minutes (I am thinking due to MD5 analysis of the downloaded packets????  And the proc on this box is MUCH slower) from the exact same mirrors.  I'm still verifying this, but if an MD5 check is done at the END of EACH package download, then this could explain the delay (the diff is a single proc 2 Ghz, versus 2xDual Core 3.x Ghz).

	- So mirror speed is not an issue...unless TOO fast is bad???

> As for your installation, if you can run aptitude at all, then it is
> already working.

	- Excellent, and this jives with the other response.  I'm happy to move forward...thanks!

> Without specifying which packages you're trying to install and what
> you're planning on doing with the machine, I don't see how we can help
> you.  It appears to be working.  At least the local side of things do.

	- Really just base system.  This will become an App server in a 2 tier production SaaS environment.  My DB server (same hardware) installed RC1 just fine (which is where/when the confusion begins!) and runs base system, ssh server, MySQL 5, and MySQL client.  Our App servers will be base, ssh server, and our application (Pathworks - http://www.PathworksSoftware.com ) which is a very lightweight web-based procedure and task mgmt...with step by step tracking).  We package tomcat with it (with some performance tuning and POSSIBLY one source customization for our next release) - so we are pretty much covered.

	- I'll eventually need to worry (before taking the Debian systems to prod) backup utils on the DB server, load balancing on the app servers (current thoughts are to deploy software based lb for now, with plans to move to hw lb as the next revision demand grows), and NagIOS (or other monitoring app) agents.

	- The final system I am concerned about is the utility box.  Basically NagIOS/monitoring, syslog, trap receiver, etc...which might also end up doing store and forward email redundancy (secondary or even tertiary MX receiver).  But I won't even start thinking about this one for a few weeks.

> However, it could be a problem with your network setup.  Are you able to
> ping a server on the internet?

	- As noted above, blazing speeds and no network issues.  I was actually thinking of ONE possibility here, but have pretty much eliminated it as not plausible (because other hardware installs FINE).  I was thinking our upstream ISP MIGHT be proxy caching and had cached a bad package...  A couple issues here, if I found out that they were doing this without my permission, yeah...there'd be hell to pay...and since it works from same network on 2 other pieces of hardware at the SAME time as this hardware fails, I have to assume no proxy cache of bad package.  (AND the reason I'm not an expert here already is that my hard corps background is in Network Engineering...not Sys Admin...I'd call myself expert expert expert Net Engr, and Jr. (or even Jr. Jr. Sys Admin).

	- Huge thanks to you and Curt - I feel I'm happy continuing in this direction (unselecting standard task).  But since I'm very happy with Debian, I'm going to make sure that this gets reported to debian-boot.  (Or do I send an email to BTS somehow...???  I DO have to say that it isn't easy to find the proper path to submit this bug/issue.

Erik M. Cummings
Director of Operations
Pathworks Software Corporation