Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:45:54PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> So the benefit *to you* of Ubuntu is frequent Stable releases?

Precisely.

> > CentOS was much easier for me as an admin.
>
> How so?

Didn't require as much inside knowledge to use with my hardware.  (I could
have installed Stable, then used backports.org and apt-get.org to get 95% of
the software I needed, then compiled the rest, but it was all there in
CentOS.  Yes, Debian has more total, but not more of what I needed that
particular quarter.)

Also, some of the stuff I needed to support wanted Red Hat as its OS, and
despite the LSB would not have worked on Debian without tweaking.  CentOS
was fine.
--
Carl Fink                                   nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at nitpickingblog.blogspot.com.  Reviews!  Observations!