..voice recognition, was: To be M$ free....

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:54:36 -0500 (EST), Don wrote in message
<[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.64.0703101442300.25845@chloropus.pomobuli.net>:

> Hi,
>
> I have a friend who would like to get away from Microsoft system
> dependence.  The show stopper seems to be voice recognition.  She is
> partially disabled and needs Naturally Speaking or equivalent.  She
> uses it for live dictation as well as recording to a digital recorder
> followed by transcription.
>
> Are there any open source equivalents to NS?
>
> If not, does anyone know of a successful use of NS under wine?
>
> If not, might xen or some other virtualizer be the answer?  Could she
> move files from one virtual machine to another?
>
> Thanks for any insight and advice.

..try play with these searches in your CLI:
arnt@a45:~/Independent-Reformer $ apt-cache search recogni |wc -l
123
arnt@a45:~/Independent-Reformer $ apt-cache search voice |wc -l
107
arnt@a45:~/Independent-Reformer $ apt-cache search voice |apt-cache
search recogni |wc -l 123
arnt@a45:~/Independent-Reformer $ apt-cache search "voice \
recogni" |wc -l
0
arnt@a45:~/Independent-Reformer $ apt-cache search speech |wc -l
90
arnt@a45:~/Independent-Reformer $ apt-cache search "speech \
recogni" |wc -l
4
arnt@a45:~/Independent-Reformer $ apt-cache --full search \
"speech recogni" |less

..I was planning to do a doorbell server off one of these 4,
but wound upsurfing the web instead.  ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: