Re: Very slow network - Ubuntu

Greg Folkert wrote:
[snip]
>> Do you honestly think that everyone here is using Etch? or Sarge?
>
> All I see is many struggling to help you on a system that is not Debian.

Agreed.  This is the Debian User's mailing list.

>>> I don't really care to support an OLD version of a Debian derivative,
>>> that isn't really Debian in the first place. Do us THAT before we
>>> continue.
>> If you are so pissed off that I'm not using 6.10, why are you replying
>> in the first place?
>
> I am not PISSED, if I were pissed and I had the gumption to reply, you'd
> get a seriously LONG e-mail. Not just a 2-3 pager, a novel.
>
>>  and Ubuntu isn't really Debian?
>
> Nope it has diverge significantly that many Debian packages will not
> install on Ubuntu's Edgy.

See my other post in this thread.

>>  what do you call a
>> distro that uses apt, aptitude, deborphan, dpkg, etc and claims to be
>> based on Debian?
>
> Lets see, off hand:
>         Admanix, APLINUX, ASLinux, AbulEdu, Formerly Demudi now ANGULA,
>         ANTEMIUM Linux, Arrabix, Augustux, Backtrack, B2D Linux, BenHUr,
>         BEERnix, Biadix, BIG LINUX, Bioknoppix, BlackRhino, BRLSpeak,
>         Bonzai Linux, ClusterKnoppix, Catix, CensorNet, Clusterix,
>         Condorux, Corel Linux, Danix, Demolinux, DebXPde, Dizinha Linux,
>         Debian JP, Debian-BR-CDD, DeveLinux, Damn Small Linux(DSL), DCC,
>         ESware Linux, eduKnoppix, ERPOSS, Evinux, Euronode, Engarde,
>         emdebian, Ebuntu, FAMELIX, FeatherLinux, FoRK (Vital Data
>         Forensic or Rescue Kit), Freeduc-cd, Freeduc-Sup, Finnix,
>         Familiar, GEOLivre Linux, Gibraltar, GNIX-Vivo, Kinneret,
>         GNUstep Live, grml, GuadaLinex, Gnoppix, Hiweed Linux, Helix,
>         Hikarunix, IndLinux,  Impi Linux, Julex, K-DeMar, Kaella,
>         Knoppix Linux Azur, Kanotix, KlusTriX, knopILS, Knoppel,
>         Knoppix64, KnoppixSTD, KNOPPIX, KnoppiXMAME, KNOSciences,
>         Kurumin, Kalango Linux, Kunbuntu, KnoppMyth, LAMPPIX, LIIS
>         Linux, Libranet, LinEspa, Linspire, Linux-YeS, Linux Live Game
>         Project, Linux Loco, LinuxDefender Live! CD, Linux Router
>         Project, LiVix, Local Area Security Linux (L.A.S.), Luinux, Luit
>         Linux, Linex, Linuxin, Libranet(though now part of Mandriva),
>         MAX: Madrid Linux, MediainLinux, MEPIS, Metadistro-Pequelin,
>         MIKO GNYO/Linux, MoLinux, Munjoy Linux, Morphix, MeNTOPPIX,
>         Nature's Linux, NordisKnoppix, NepaLinux, NUbuntu,
>         OpenGroupware.org Knoppix CD, OverclockIX, Oralux, PAIPIX,
>         ParallelKnoppix, Parsix GNU/Linux, Penguin Sleuth Bootable CD,
>         PHLAK, PilotLinux, PingOO, Progeny Linux, Prosa, Quantian, RAYS
>         LX, Salvare, Santa Fe Linux, Slavix, Slix, Slo-Tech Linux,
>         Soyombo Mongolian Linux, SphinxOS, Stonegate, Stromix
>         Tecnologies' Storm Linux, Symphony OS, Skolelinux, Tablix on
>         Morphix, TelemetryBox, Tilix Linux, TupiServer Linux, Ubuntu,
>         User Linux, Ubuntu Lite X-evian, Xandros, Xfld, Xarnoppix,
>         Xebian, Zen Linux, ZoneCD, Zopix, zUbuntu

You left out Sidux.  Shame on you :)  At least Sidux is Sid, just like
Kanotix was.

>> Thankfully, others have been very helpful here. The correct way to say
>> the above is to use "ME" instead of "US", unless ,of course, it is
>> planted in your head that you are a spokesperson for "all".
>
> I guess, since we are now supporting Ubuntu, we now get to support all
> those other one. Thanks Ben, you've just opened a can of worms.

Somehow I get the feeling that Ben won't be getting a lot of support in
the future.  At least not from you or me.

A real good test to see what one's distribution is:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list

If you don't see the word debian there, and the site you're using isn't
listed on the official Debian mirrors
(http://www.debian.org/mirror/official), then you're not running Debian.

Joe
- --