Re: Very slow network - Ubuntu

Greg Folkert wrote:
On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 15:31 -0400, A. Ben Hmeda wrote:
I have searched ubuntu forums to no avail. My network connection has
slowed down considerably since I installed Ubuntu Dapper (6.06.1 LTS) I
have disabled ipv6 in /etc/aliases and Firefox, still slow by about 50%.

My machine AMDSMP is dual boot w2k/ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS (2xAthlon 2000+ 512
RAM), network is at full speed with win2k and Fedora Core 5 (now
deleted) on this machine.

I have another Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS machine SERVER (2xP3-500 256RAM) and a
Win2k KIDPC (P3-866 512RAM) on the same home network that do not have
this problem with the network slowdowns.

My benchmark is http://www.testmy.net/ website. Every machine on the
network has been tested separately, while other machines were turned off.

First off, why the heck are you using 6.06.1?

6.0.6.1 is the currently supported version for 3 years.

Stop being a fuddy. Upgrade to Edgy and the newer kernel and init
system.

fuddy? mamma mia please don't get too technical with me.

Then come back here.

Until you at least become current on you workstation, stop asking
questions.

Do you honestly think that everyone here is using Etch? or Sarge?

I don't really care to support an OLD version of a Debian derivative,
that isn't really Debian in the first place. Do us THAT before we
continue.
If you are so pissed off that I'm not using 6.10, why are you replying in the first place? and Ubuntu isn't really Debian? what do you call a distro that uses apt, aptitude, deborphan, dpkg, etc and claims to be based on Debian? do you call it Yoper?

Thankfully, others have been very helpful here. The correct way to say the above is to use "ME" instead of "US", unless ,of course, it is planted in your head that you are a spokesperson for "all".