how to reconfigure X after video card change

Running i586 Debian stable, I just took out an ATI Rage video card (pci)
and replaced it with a no name SiS (agp) video card. Now the system
starts up, but won't load GDM, instead terminating with an error message
and asking if I want to see the details.

The new video card seems okay, since I can boot right into X on the
current Knoppix okay.

How do I configure the Sarge system to use the new card (I really don't
want to reinstall from scratch . . .) ?

IIRC, isn't there a reconfigure shell command that can be run from
console mode that allows manual setup of monitor, video card, keyboard,
mouse, etc?