Re: kernel 2.6.18-4-k7 won't boot [SOLVED]

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 09:04:11PM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-18 at 13:11 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> >
> > /boot was full! (too many previous kernels still lying around).
> > Evidently apt-get only wrote *part* of the initrd file because the file
> > system filled up but I saw no complaint.
> >
> > I removed the two oldest kernels (System.map, config, initrd, and
> > vmlinuz) then reinstalled linux-image-2.6.18-4-k7.
> >
> > All is well now.
>
> dpkg -l | grep linux-image
>
> I'll bet your previous kernels are still listed. Which means you setup
> is broke.
>
> If you would have removed them with apt-get, aptitude or synaptic and
> then re-installed the the latest kernel... you would have been fine.

Thanks for pointing that out. You're right. The old kernels still showed
in the list. I've now removed them using both apt-get and dpkg.

'dpkg -l' now comes out clean.

> Also, you probably did get a warning about the initrd being problematic,
> just that you probably just accepted it. I know it happens, I do it to
> often, accepting without reading the error.

Sometimes the error scrolls off the screen before I get a chance to see it.

--
"The market is not an invention of capitalism.  It has
 existed for centuries.  It is an invention of civilization."