Re: kernel 2.6.18-4-k7 won't boot [SOLVED]

On Sun, 2007-03-18 at 13:11 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 06:38:13PM +0200, Vasil Benov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have experienced the same problem. If you have a SATA harddrive
> > you should specify root=/dev/sda1(or whatever device number and partition
> > you boot from)
> >
> > On kenrel update the installer overwrites the values for (root=....) nad
> > puts there /dev/hd...
> >
> > Hope this helps
> >
> > Regards, Vasil
> >
> > On 3/18/07, Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:
> > >
> > >I upgraded my system today (etch) and when I rebooted this new kernel
> > >complained about running out of compressed data and that I needed to
> > >specify a correct root= parameter. Booting with kernel 2.6.17-4-k7 still
> > >works fine and it uses the same root= parameter. My hard drive is SATA.
> > >
> > >Is this a known problem with this kernel?
>
> The root= parameter is and always has been /dev/sda3 however I have now
> discovered what the problem was.
>
> /boot was full! (too many previous kernels still lying around).
> Evidently apt-get only wrote *part* of the initrd file because the file
> system filled up but I saw no complaint.
>
> I removed the two oldest kernels (System.map, config, initrd, and
> vmlinuz) then reinstalled linux-image-2.6.18-4-k7.
>
> All is well now.

dpkg -l | grep linux-image

I'll bet your previous kernels are still listed. Which means you setup
is broke.

If you would have removed them with apt-get, aptitude or synaptic and
then re-installed the the latest kernel... you would have been fine.

Also, you probably did get a warning about the initrd being problematic,
just that you probably just accepted it. I know it happens, I do it to
often, accepting without reading the error.

Sometimes I get to drive 4 hours round trip just to fix my fsck up.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup