Re: Very slow network - Ubuntu

Thilo Six wrote:
Joe Hart wrote the following on 18.03.2007 21:11:
Thilo Six wrote:
Douglas Allan Tutty wrote the following on 18.03.2007 20:24:
Ben,
I've been following this thread but not commenting since I don't do
gnome.

Do I understand correctly that you boot stright to gnome, start a
download and get poor network components but if you do a gnome network
setup thingy it improves?  I'm also not clear if it improves if you do
/etc/initd./networking restart?

I would be curious to eliminate gnome as a problem.
<snip>
hmm wait
may it be network manager?
You mean network mangler.  That's what it is to a desktop gateway.

sorry never heard of network mangler.
what i mean is:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty/net/network-manager

I'd have to agree. I think network-manager does more harm than good many times. I installed and configured some servers for a small business that wanted gui's on their servers so network manager was installed by default. The servers were multi-homed and I only configured one interface to begin with. It was pointed to one of the two gateways, but when I started the server after installation it kept insisting on using the other gateway and obtaining an address via dhcp, even though I had given the one interface I configured a static address. Turns out n-m was using one of the non-configured, and unlisted in /etc/network/interfaces nic's to access the internet as n-m will not use a manually configured interface. I had to uninstall n-m to get the machine to access the correct gateway.
What when you stop it Ben?
sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/26NetworkManagerDispatcher stop
sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager stop
Doug.
bye Thilo
i am on Ubuntu 2.6 KDE
- some friend of mine

What is this supposed to mean?

Ubuntu 2.6 KDE
is like a smart way of saying Ubuntu GNU/Linux
2.6 refers to linux kernel and kde is obviously not ubuntu

although when it was "created" it was a mistake by a newcomer
i like the "deeper" meaning behind it

Joe

bye Thilo