Re: Very slow network - Ubuntu

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 12:20:01PM -0400, A. Ben Hmeda wrote:
> Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> >Joe Hart wrote:

Ben,
I've been following this thread but not commenting since I don't do
gnome.

Do I understand correctly that you boot stright to gnome, start a
download and get poor network components but if you do a gnome network
setup thingy it improves?  I'm also not clear if it improves if you do
/etc/initd./networking restart?

I would be curious to eliminate gnome as a problem.  What happens if you
turn off gdm and reboot.  This should take you to a normal CLI login.
Login, and start a download and note the speed.  If its still slow, try
restarting networking and try again, then either way restart gnome
(startx).

Assuming that the problem isn't gnome, I'll tell you a problem I have
and see if it points anywhere.  My new box has a 10/100/1000 ethernet,
whereas the other end of the crossover cable (no switch) is to my 486
with 10 ethernet.  If I start the 486 before the new box, when the
kernel on the new box initializes the ethernet port, it freezes the
486's NIC.  I wonder if there's something like this going on.

If networking starts out OK then degrades when something later starts up
in the init scripts, you could put your own initscript to run last that
restarts networking.

Doug.