Re: SMTP and ports 25 and 1025.

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 10:40:12PM +0100, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 16.03.07 09:13, Easthope wrote:
> > I am trying to understand how SMTP uses ports.
> > Ultimately I want it to work through a SSH tunnel.
> >
> > Normally SMTP uses port 25 but in some cases it uses 1025.
>
> in what cases? there is port 587 designed and reserved for message
> submission via SMTP.
to my knowlege, port 587 is for _authenticated_ message transmission,
e.g. from your own users, not for server<->server.
and everything that is for communication with the users can in prinziple
run on any port you want, since you can tell then how to configure your
clients, but there is no mechanism to tell other smtp servers "talk to
me on port 666" or something.

yours
albert

--