Re: iceweasel always requesting to be default browser

On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 10:27 +0100, Roman Stöckl-Schmidt wrote:
> Michael M. schrieb:
> > So what is your default browser?  Do you have iceweasel set as the
> > default in any DE you are using, if you are using one?  What does
> > update-alternatives report?
>
> Okay, I'm using Gnome and in the preferred applications settings or
> whatever it's called in english it says custom with the command to run
> the application set to "/usr/lib/iceweasel/firefox "%s". When I set it
> to iceweasel in the dropdown menu and start iceweasel, it gives me the
> "I'm not your default browser, buhu"-crap again. And when I confirm to
> let the app set itself as default the etnry in the default app-settings
> from Gnome are as they were in the beginning.
>
> So apparently everything is fine but iceweasel doesn't detect that the
> entry it made itself is actually iceweasel as the default rather than
> some other program. easiest workaround for now would be to just disable
> the warning in iceweasel, butr the underlying problem wouldn't be solved
> by that, now would it?
>
> Assuming that you guys don't really now what to do to change this
> behaviour either, apart from filing a bug report to change the source, I
> have only one more question: Where should I file this, is it a debian
> related problem, firefox or Gnome?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> P.S.: I've never used update-alternatives before but couldnt really
> figure out how to use it in my case from the man page. I did
>
> #update-alternatives --display firefox
> #update-alternatives --display /usr/bin/firefox
> #update-alternatives --display /usr/bin/firefox
> #update-alternatives --display browser
>
> and they all returned no alternatives for $command

As Andrei and Joe indicated, you should be using "x-www-broswer."  My
results:

:~$ sudo update-alternatives --display x-www-browser
Password:
x-www-browser - status is auto.
 link currently points to /usr/bin/epiphany
/usr/bin/epiphany - priority 85
 slave x-www-browser.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/epiphany.1.gz
/usr/bin/iceweasel - priority 70
 slave x-www-browser.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/iceweasel.1.gz
Current `best' version is /usr/bin/epiphany.

Per the update-alternatives man page, the default directory for the
alternatives system is /etc/alternatives:

"The generic name is not a direct symbolic link to the selected
alternative.  Instead, it is a symbolic link to
a name in the alternatives directory, which in turn is a symbolic link
to the actual file referenced.  This is
done so that the system administrator’s changes can be confined within
the  /etc  directory:  the  FHS  (q.v.)
gives reasons why this is a Good Thing."

So if you want to see a list of all the alternative categories
available, you can do:

:~$ ls /etc/alternatives

Since you are using Gnome, you may also want to check that
"gnome-www-browser" also gives the result you want:

:~$ sudo update-alternatives --display gnome-www-browser

To change any of these settings, you use "update-alternatives --config
[...]", per the man page.

If you make sure your alternatives settings are correct for
"x-www-browser" and "gnome-www-browser," and you still get the "I'm not
the default browser" message from Iceweasel, then I would guess that's a
bug.  But as Joe said, you can just turn that check off as long as
Iceweasel is functioning as your default browser.  In this case, if it
is working the way you want, does it really matter if it for some reason
doesn't recognize that it is working the way you want?

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions