Nothing works

Hello:

I am new to Linux and I recently installed Debian Sarge for my 64 bit machine. After the installation, and choosing KDE as my GUI, I find essentially that nothing works in the distro. I have decided to ask for your help one issue at a time.

The first, and most annoying thing is that the maximum resolution I am allowed is 800x600. I have a Nvidia Geoforce3 graphics card and a Multiscan CPD-G220R Sony monitor. When the installation program asked me for what driver to install for my graphics card I chose "nv", which I have used before and works. Also, when configuring the X environment I supplied the horizontal and vertical refresh rates of my monitor. So, I would appreciate if you could help me to set the resolution at least at 1024x768. Thanks.

Teilhard.