Re: Nothing works

> Hello:

> I am new to Linux and I recently installed Debian Sarge for my 64 bit
> machine. After the installation, and choosing KDE as my GUI, I find
> essentially that nothing works in the distro. I have decided to ask
> for your help one issue at a time.

> The first, and most annoying thing is that the maximum resolution I
> am allowed is 800x600. I have a Nvidia Geoforce3 graphics card and a
> Multiscan CPD-G220R Sony monitor. When the installation program asked
> me for what driver to install for my graphics card I chose "nv", which
> I have used before and works. Also, when configuring the X environment
> I supplied the horizontal and vertical refresh rates of my monitor.
> So, I would appreciate if you could help me to set the resolution at
> least at 1024x768. Thanks.

> Teilhard.

Try, as root user in the konsole, entering the command:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

or, if this does not work, it may be

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

This will give you an opportunity to change your resolution to
1024x768.
As others have suggested, you may wish to install Etch (aka testing)
instead of Sarge, given that Sarge is older.

Mark