vmware guest OS installs

Hi All,

I have run across something in vmware-server that has me buffaloed. It installs fine, but when I attempt to install Win2K server as a guest OS things go wrong in a fairly strange way. It's as if the guest OS loses track of it's own ability to keep track of time. The install will hang at odd places in the install such as in the middle of copying files to the hard drive, and at the first reboot where the installer gives a timed countdown to reboot. It will start the countdown but each second that Win2K sees is more like a minute or so IRL. The install will then hang for good during device detection. Anyone seen anything like this before? I'm using the 1.0.2 version of vmware server and have tried both Sid and Etch as well as Ubuntu Edgy as host OS's. This is happening on a Toshiba Tecra A4-S211 laptop. I've also installed Win2K just to see if it will install on this machine, and it did so with no problems.