Απ: SMTP and ports 25 and 1025.

2007/3/16, Easthope <peasthope@cablelan.net>:
Debian Users,

I am trying to understand how SMTP uses ports.
Ultimately I want it to work through a SSH tunnel.

Normally SMTP uses port 25 but in some cases it uses
1025.

25 is the default (ie. the one that all computers in the Internet will
attempt to use). You can manually set an SMTP to use whatever port you
like (1025 10025 689...) but only if you  control all the PCs that
will talk to that SMTP (in order to set them so as to use 1025 also).

So what is SMTP doing with it?
nothing if you don't mess with the defaults which you better not