Re: SMTP and ports 25 and 1025.

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 09:13:12AM -0700, Easthope wrote:
> Normally SMTP uses port 25 but in some cases it uses
> 1025.  According to
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
> 1025 is assigned to blackjack!  (blackjack?)  So what
> is SMTP doing with it?

I've never seen SMTP use 1025. If you were to do
SMTP-over-SSH, you'd be using port 22 (ssh's port). When I
do IMAP-over-SSH, what I'm doing is

1) opening up an SSH connection to remote-host (over port
   22)
2) running imapd on that end
3) catching the stdout from imapd on my end
4) closing the connection

So basically I'm doing this command:

ssh remote-host /usr/sbin/imapd | some-local-process

If you were doing SMTP-over-SSH, I guess you'd be doing
something similar. But for reasons that I don't want to take
the time to list, it seems like you wouldn't be doing the
same thing with SMTP.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org