Re: libc6 (?) related conflicts involving emacs21 and other packages

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 18:56:25 -0600, Charles Blair wrote:
>    Thanks for your continuing help.  In response to "aptitude keep-all"
> and to
> "aptitude install -fsD" I got a long list of packages that "have been
> kept back".
> No single item in the list seemed enlightening.
>
>   The second command also gave as response:
> *****************************
>  0 upgraded 0 newly installed 0 to remove
> would download/install/remove packages.  (but doesn't say which ones!)
> *****************************
>
>    Since the problem seems to be coming from libc6 and libc6-dev
> packages that were taken from the Feb 26 .iso image, I am wondering
> whether it might help to update these packages using the March 11 images,
> which provided the emacs package whose installation seemed to create
> problems.

I also think that it is better to use all packages from one consistent
set. I have never used packages from CDs much (except for the ones on a
netinstaller image), but I think you can use "apt-cdrom" to scan all the
newer CDs that you have and then it should be possible to upgrade
normally, i.e. via

aptitude update && aptitude upgrade

I think the "aptitude update &&" part might not even be necessary. If
all the CDs were scanned correctly then aptitude will prompt you which
ones you have to insert and furthermore aptitude will handle all
dependencies for you. ("man apt-cdrom" has more details on how to scan
the CDs.)

If you still have packages "kept back" after that, then you might have
to do "aptitude dist-upgrade", but I would not expect that since Etch
was already in freeze on February 26.

Once your system is fully upgraded, "aptitude install gnumeric" should
work without problems.

--
Regards,
          Florian