Re: Sound on Linux?

2007/3/16, Ken Heard <ken@heard.name>:
I assume that in alsamixer, at the bottom of each slide there should a
"00" indication, not "MM", to indicate "open".  The "master" and "PCM"
(What is PCM?) were "00" and full on, but not the others.  For good
measure I changed them all to "00" and full on.  I still could not open
an audio CD or a newscast.

I then exited my user and entered it again.  As instructed I ran "aplay
/usr/share/sound/alsa/*.wav" which returned the following:

aplay: main:550: audio open error: Device or resource busy

1. Try kill artsd deamon if running...
2. from a root shell /etc/alsa reload
2. lsmod | grep snd, so you are sure that snd modules are loaded
4. cat /dev/urandom > /dev/audio   do you hear something? (white noise)
5. if you got xine installed (dvd video player) try a DVD, if sound doesn't work properly DVD's audio track is "piped" to a wav file ( xine-out.wav or similar). A simple test but I think it's worth to try

I find that strange, as the the CDROM drive was empty, nor could I see
any application open, except icedove and a terminal emulator.

Maybe audio device it's busy 'cause artsd it's locking it

raffaele

ps: did you googled around for your 'sound card + kernel support'