Re: Sound on Linux?

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 08:29:07AM +0700, Ken Heard wrote:
> Kevin Mark wrote:
>
> >the alsa packages are needed.
> >IIRC alsa-base,alsa-tools,alsa-utils.
> >the run as root:
> >alsaconf
> >and it should do the rest.
>
> I already had installed alsa-base and alsa-utils, but not alsa-tools; so
>  I installed alsa-tools and alsa-tool-gui; aptitude also installed one
> lib file.  I then ran as root alsaconf which did its thing, including
> detecting the builtin sound card, and told me to enjoy.

as mentioned elsewhere, double check alsamixer and make sure the
channels are not muted. of course, check the obvious -- speakers
turned up etc.

> Unfortunately the results were the same as reported previously.  I tried
> to listen to an audio CD -- a commercial one, not a CD burned with MP3
> on it -- using in succession noatun, juk and kaffeine -- no response.
>
> I checked to see whether the CD was mounted; it was.  Directory
> /media/hdc listed the tracks on the CD.

no need to mount the cd to play it.

I suggest a couple things.
1) send us the output of

 lspci -vv | grep -A 10 Audio

and

 lsmod | grep snd

2) try using a command line player on a wav file and see what
   happens. try this:

 aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/*.wav

this should play 9 files for different surround sound speakers, but
you should get something. if it works, then we can move on to the cd
and other issues. If it doesn't work, then send us the output.