Re: Sound on Linux?

Ken Heard wrote:

I already had installed alsa-base and alsa-utils, but not alsa-tools; so
 I installed alsa-tools and alsa-tool-gui; aptitude also installed one
lib file.  I then ran as root alsaconf which did its thing, including
detecting the builtin sound card, and told me to enjoy.

Unfortunately the results were the same as reported previously.  I tried
to listen to an audio CD -- a commercial one, not a CD burned with MP3
on it -- using in succession noatun, juk and kaffeine -- no response.

I checked to see whether the CD was mounted; it was.  Directory
/media/hdc listed the tracks on the CD.

As for the newscast, the same result as before as well -- the KDE crash
handler.

The laptop, by the way, is a Toshiba Tecra 8000 with a P2 CPU.  When it
still had Windows 2000 on it I was able to do both -- listen to audio
CDs and watch and listen to downloaded newscasts.  So it would seem that
the problem(s) is(are) not hardware related.

Any further suggestions?

Not sure if you have check this before, but have you verified you have proper volume settings on all your audio channels? Run alsamixer in a terminal, you will get a text based graphic display of the levels. Make sure none of the outputs are zero or muted. Up/Down arrows change the levels, "M" mutes/unmutes, and Left/Right change the channel.

->HS