Re: Sound on Linux?

Kevin Mark wrote:

the alsa packages are needed.
IIRC alsa-base,alsa-tools,alsa-utils.
the run as root:
alsaconf
and it should do the rest.

I already had installed alsa-base and alsa-utils, but not alsa-tools; so
 I installed alsa-tools and alsa-tool-gui; aptitude also installed one
lib file.  I then ran as root alsaconf which did its thing, including
detecting the builtin sound card, and told me to enjoy.

Unfortunately the results were the same as reported previously.  I tried
to listen to an audio CD -- a commercial one, not a CD burned with MP3
on it -- using in succession noatun, juk and kaffeine -- no response.

I checked to see whether the CD was mounted; it was.  Directory
/media/hdc listed the tracks on the CD.

As for the newscast, the same result as before as well -- the KDE crash
handler.

The laptop, by the way, is a Toshiba Tecra 8000 with a P2 CPU.  When it
still had Windows 2000 on it I was able to do both -- listen to audio
CDs and watch and listen to downloaded newscasts.  So it would seem that
the problem(s) is(are) not hardware related.

Any further suggestions?

				Regards,

				Ken Heard