Re: vote for Debian on Dell computers

Michael Marsh wrote:
Personally, I don't care which Linux distro Dell installs. ... *any* distro pre-installed is a good thing, because ... those of us with a preferred distro will have at least some assurance that the laptop's hardware will work with our distro of choice.

Yes! I asked Dell a couple of weeks ago to have one of their engineers spend five minutes slapping a Knoppix CD into one of their machines and report if sound/LAN/X worked decently well. I wasn't terribly concerned about resolutions or sleep/suspend, etc; I just wanted a general idea that the basics worked.

Did I get an answer?

Nope. Guess my money wasn't worth five minutes of their engineer's time. Oh well.

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com <http://kentwest.blogspot.com/>