Re: vote for Debian on Dell computers

On 3/15/07, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi <kamaraju@bluebottle.com> wrote:
Dell is conducting a survey as to which linux distribution they should
prioritize on. I was surprised that Debian is not even on the list. Please
vote for Debian by going to

http://www.dell.com/linuxsurvey

Choose other in question (6) and enter Debian. If enough users respond, may
be they will have Debian computers. Long shot, but I think it is worth it.

Personally, I don't care which Linux distro Dell installs.  For one,
their machines are pieces of crap, so I wouldn't buy one with my own
money.  For another, *any* distro pre-installed is a good thing,
because people who won't install Linux themselves might use it, and
those of us with a preferred distro will have at least some assurance
that the laptop's hardware will work with our distro of choice.  This
is even more true as hardware vendors start viewing the Dell+Linux
market as something to be courted.

What will really be interesting to see is if a low-cost computer
manufacturer can sell Linux-installed systems priced competitively
with their Windows-installed systems.  The lukewarm support from
hardware manufacturers means Dell won't necessarily be able to follow
their usual practice of using the cheapest part (that meets their
specs) available at the time.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh