Re: Updating Gnome menu without logout/login

Liam O'Toole wrote:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:43:59 +0400
George Chelidze <wrath@geo.net.ge> wrote:

Hello All,

I have the following problem with my sarge installation:

When I install a new desktop application and if it has a
correspondent item in a menu, I can see it in debian menu but not in
my gnome menu before I logout and login again. Is there any way to
update gnome menu without logout/login or executing any command? It's
not very "production critical" issue, however it would be very nice
to have this functionality.

Best Regards,

George

Do you have fam or gamin installed and running?  IIRC one of those is
required for the behaviour you require, at least in the case of Sarge.

The brute-force solution is simply to kill gnome-panel (don't worry,
gnome-session will restart it):

   pkill gnome-panel

But that could cause consternation in a multi-user environment :-)

Seems fam partially fixed the problem (I have installed gnome-games for testing purposses, menu didn't update before logout/login, however it updated as soon as I install gqview). I'll try to do some more tests and let you know.

Thank you very much for your helpfull tip.

Best Regards,

George