Re: Updating Gnome menu without logout/login

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 10:43:59 +0400
George Chelidze <wrath@geo.net.ge> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have the following problem with my sarge installation:
>
> When I install a new desktop application and if it has a
> correspondent item in a menu, I can see it in debian menu but not in
> my gnome menu before I logout and login again. Is there any way to
> update gnome menu without logout/login or executing any command? It's
> not very "production critical" issue, however it would be very nice
> to have this functionality.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> George

Do you have fam or gamin installed and running?  IIRC one of those is
required for the behaviour you require, at least in the case of Sarge.

The brute-force solution is simply to kill gnome-panel (don't worry,
gnome-session will restart it):

    pkill gnome-panel

But that could cause consternation in a multi-user environment :-)

--

Liam