Re: Problem with entering bios setup after interrupted network installation

Piotr pzc wrote:
Hi,
About 2 weeks ago I bought a FSC Amilo Pro V3505 laptop. Last Wednesday I tried to install on it Debian from network (using Netinstal CD). However my Network card wasn't detected and installation failed. After message that no card has been detected I tried to pick some random models in hope it will work, but with no sucess. After that I couldn't reboot system in 'normal way', i.e. neither Ctrl-Alt-Del nor Power button worked. After about 5 minutes I pulled out the battery. After plugging it back I came across following problem: I cannot enter bios setup, and system boots from HDD (there is grub from previous, disfunctional instllation of Gentoo).
This laptop uses Phoenix bios and according to manual I should be able to turn on/off bootmenu with F12 button, but it doesn't work. Neither does F2 - enter bios setup (before there were no such problem). Esc works, and keyboard as such - tried on grub command line.

Is it possible that during installation some part of BIOS has been overwritten or some settings changed?
I can't imagine that any part of the Debian install could overwrite the BIOS, but I wouldn't say it can't happen. My gut instinct is that the hardware/firmware has just "spontaneously" failed.

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com <http://kentwest.blogspot.com/>