Blacklisted module still loads!

I don't know what else to try.  I have tested the following in
/etc/modules.conf:

alias snd-cs46xx off
blacklist snd-cs46xx
install snd-cs46xx /bin/true	(found this on a web site)

in /etc/discover.conf-2.6 and /etc/discover.d/alsa-base

skip snd-cs46xx

A kernel boot parameter:

snd-cs46xx.blacklist=yes
(per http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/ch05s02.html.en
section 5.2.1.3)

None of the above prevent the *X&!@% snd-cs46xx module from being
loaded.  The machine in question being an IBM thinkpad 600E, that
module doesn't work.  What I really need is snd-cs4231.  Once the
latter is loaded manually (after unloading snd-cs46xx), sound works.

This is on an Etch system (recently upgraded from Sarge), kernel
2.6.18 from the deb source package available and compiled locally.

Can someone clarify what is going on here - what program is doing
the loading?  This is a MB/non-removable device, so I presume it's
not udev.  In any case, it seems that any of the above should have
prevented the automatic loading.

Help!  This is driving me nuts!  What have I overlooked?  Thanks in
advance.

A.