Re: Blacklisted module still loads!

On Tuesday 13 March 2007 03:52, A. F. Cano wrote:
> I don't know what else to try.  I have tested the following in
> /etc/modules.conf:
>
> alias snd-cs46xx off
> blacklist snd-cs46xx
> install snd-cs46xx /bin/true (found this on a web site)
>
> in /etc/discover.conf-2.6 and /etc/discover.d/alsa-base
>
> skip snd-cs46xx
>
> A kernel boot parameter:
>
> snd-cs46xx.blacklist=yes
> (per http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/ch05s02.html.en
> section 5.2.1.3)
>
> None of the above prevent the *X&!@% snd-cs46xx module from being
> loaded.  The machine in question being an IBM thinkpad 600E, that
> module doesn't work.  What I really need is snd-cs4231.  Once the
> latter is loaded manually (after unloading snd-cs46xx), sound works.
>
> This is on an Etch system (recently upgraded from Sarge), kernel
> 2.6.18 from the deb source package available and compiled locally.
>
> Can someone clarify what is going on here - what program is doing
> the loading?  This is a MB/non-removable device, so I presume it's
> not udev.  In any case, it seems that any of the above should have
> prevented the automatic loading.
>
> Help!  This is driving me nuts!  What have I overlooked?  Thanks in
> advance.
>
> A.

I don't know if this any help, but I've had similar problems on Fedora Core 2,
where my webcam was grabbing /dev/video0, and the TV tuner card wasn't being
loaded at all. On other distros the TV tuner card has /dev/video0, and the
webcam /dev/video1.

My fix on FC2 was to add a few lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, as below.

/sbin/modprobe -r ov511

/sbin/modprobe tda9887 port2=0 pal=I
/sbin/modprobe bttv tuner=38 automute=0
#install bttv /sbin/modprobe tda9887 port2=0 pal=I; /sbin/modprobe
--ignore-install bttv

/sbin/modprobe ov511 force-palette=15

The above, first removed the webcam driver that was using /dev/video0, then
loaded the driver for the TV tuner card (bttv), which now had /dev/video/0,
then reloaded the webcam driver (ov511) , which now had /dev/video1, and it
all works.

Perhaps this will work for you on Debian. The file is in /etc/init.d/rc.local.
There is a lot of script in this file compared to the on in Fedora Core 2,
but it probably works the same.

I'd just try adding the following lines in this file and see how it goes.

modprobe -r snd-cs46xx
modprobe snd-cs4231

If what happens on FC2 is anything to go by, this should unload snd-cs46xx,
and then load snd-cs4231.

I hope this works for you.

Nigel.