Re: OT: suggestions for rugged portable computer

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 09:31:57PM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 08:57:27PM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:
> > >
> > > Will you be travelling by vehicle (or by horse or otherwise mounted) or
> > > will you be on foot and having to carry everything yourself?

Traveling by car through semi-wilderness but not staying there
overnight.  That would be camping an a whole other kettle of fish.  By
semi wilderness I mean Northern Ontario, logging roads, no cell
coverage, no or poor pavement, a couple of hours away from the nearest
town or village.  I just came back from 3 weeks.  -40 C plus windchill.
I suppose its only semi-wilderness as long as the car is running :-)

Since its by car, weight isn't a real issue but size is to some extent.
I want a case somewhat smaller than a typical desktop box, and with
everyting integrated it doesn't need expansion cards.  Something along
the lines of a 1U server (pizza box) only closer to a laptop in
footprint so it fits in a briefcase-size Pelican.

Need it in an airtight case to prevent condensation when I bring it
indoors at the end of the day at the motel, hense the Pelican case.
After it warms up I could check email.

I've had two laptops.  Once clone died when my house got hit by
lightening while I was using it.  I figure induction from the current in
the metal roof fried the display.  The ThinkPad fried itself when the tent
I was in got hit by lightning.  If they hadn't been laptops, I may have
been able to replace individual components (e.g. screen or power
supply) simply.

Thanks,

Doug.