[Partial Solution] Re: Can't run shorewall with kernel 2.6.20.2

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:05:00 -0500
"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@connexer.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 12:21:09AM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > >
> > > distribution of Debian
> >
> > Debian unstable
> >
> > > version of shorewall
> >
> > 3.2.9-1
> >
> > > version of iptables
> >
> > 1.3.6.0debian1-5
> >
> > > method by which kernel was built
> >
> > Vanilla kernel + software suspend + dsdt fixes (debian doesn't have 2.6.20.2
> > yet)
> >
> I would start by checking the recent messages on the shorewall-users
> list.  I seem to recall Tom Eastep mentioning some issues with 2.6.20 in
> relation to another user's mail.  If it is not in the archives, then try
> following the directions here: http://shorewall.net/support.htm

That helped a bit. It appears that shorewall requires Ipv4 connection tracking
enabled. Now shorewall comes up and seems to work except that dns requests from
the firewall fail when it is enabled. (I can ping out by address but not by
name)