Re: Best File System for partitions over 600GB

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 12:21:38AM +0530, Siju George wrote:
Hi,

Could some one recommend which File System is best for partitions above 600GB?
I am considering XFS. The System is Debian Sarge for amd64.
Hope there are no issues with this setup. please let me know if i
should be careful in any area.
Also if a better file system suits for such large partitions :-)

There are a few comparisions out there but you need to look at the
design philosophies in relation to your application.  There have been
some problems with ReiserFS (no references, but there were messages on
debian-user a while ago).  When I looked at this it came down to a
choice between XFS and JFS.  There have also been a lot of threads on
this topic on debian-user in the past few months.

When I was building my first MythTV box 2 years ago, I did some research and found some benchmarks, the link for which I failed to keep, that put XFS and JFS pretty much neck and neck in terms of performance, except when it came to deleting big files when JFS was significantly faster, since this is something you do a lot of with a MythTV I went for JFS and have had no problems.

The only feature I'd like is file system shrinking which I heard rumor you can now do with the fs offline.