Re: Re: SATA - How to access disk ???

Hi, I'm new to the list (and to Debian) so I'm not too sure of the protocol here... but I have a related question, so thought I'd tag mine onto this. (However some groups want all separate questions even if they repeat very nearly that of another).

I too can't get the boot sequence to read the SATA, but I've determined that in my case (and possibly the original posters) it's because the initrd image doesn't contain the driver for the disk.
I am struggling to build the initrd image.

Some background:

I have been a 'user' (rather than technical administrator) of linux for about 6 years running various flavours of Mandrake - with MNDRK-10 since it was released on my old PIII-dual processor box. 3 weeks ago I decided to upgrade both my OS and machine. I bought a brand new fast PC with AMD64 Athlon - 300gig SATA - and onboard NVIDIA chips, without pausing to think about driver support. With Mandrake/Mandriva's drive to 'sell' packages and support I decided it time to dump them. I got the full set of Debian Sarge 3.1r5 [but for the i386 rather than 64bit AMD] to go with new machine. Cutting a long story ... couldn't get it to work. Downloaded kernel that someone else had built with SATA support... it worked but no graphics (no NVIDIA). Decided to build my own kernel based upon 3.6.8 for 64bit. Compiled for NVIDIA/SATA/AMD-64/etc.... (NOTE very steep learning curve - 'in at the deep end' - never done anything similar before - but seems to have worked). BUT... still wont boot because can't 'see' the SATA... have rooted around and detremined that it fails still within the RAMDISK. The image doesn't contain a device entry for the disk so it can't see it. Have read 7 different versions of how to create a ramdisk image for the initrd, but they are all confusing to say the least ... and I can't get it to work.

Can anyone help with a plain-english 'idiots-guide' for this idiot?

Thanks.
Ian