Re: Sad...

On Sat, Mar 10, 2007 at 20:30:52 +0100, agentace wrote:

> I installed debian on a PowerEdge 850 flawlessly in October of 2005 using a
> Testing NetInst CD.  It's sad that the SATA support for this machine has
> since been removed, as I'm now attempting to install debian on another
> machine which is exactly the same (PowerEdge 850 bought at the same time as
> the other) using the Sarge Installer and it tells me that no partitionable
> media is detected.

A quick clarification: Support for your SATA controller was not removed
from Sarge. Sarge never had this driver in the first place. Sarge was
released as "stable" in the beginning of June 2005, therefore it is not
surprising that it has less hardware support than a "testing" snapshot
of October 2005. No new drivers are added once a Debian release is
"stable".

> I'd love to use the Etch installer...if I could ever get it.

Do you still have a reasonably fast internet connection? Try the
daily-built i386 NetInst image for Etch which is available
here:

Regards,
          Florian